Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Opportunity Wasted

Because I have one of those dreaded daytime jobs, I didn't get to watch the entire effort put forth by the Detroit Tigers this afternoon. When I did get my chances, namely during a few of the middle innings, I found myself cursing at my steering wheel (I make my living as a courier). A lot, too... and impatience was the sticking point.

Watching Carlos Guillen and Wilson Betemit (among others) taking wild hacks at pitches out of the strike zone, running up a lethal stakeout total for John Danks. The White Sox hurler struck out 10 Tigers, NINE went down swinging. Most of those swings were nothing short of awful. The Tigers offense today went trigger happy, and ultimately wasted a good outing by Max Scherzer, who made only the mistake of giving up a 2-run homer.

A blown opportunity to go up 3 games in the division over the Indians, is instead just 2 over Cleveland, and only 3 1/2 over the White Sox. The Tigers now host the Angels for 4 games, which will likely be a total grind, thanks to L.A.'s starting pitching. We can take some solace that the high powered Red Sox visit Chicago this weekend. The Indians and their struggling offense host the Royals.

The Tigers had better get their bats to wake up, before the legions of fans continue to remember that they've been a failure in the second half of any season. It's been mentioned that Tigers owner Mike Ilitch will be "extremely disappointed" should they not make the postseason. I'm going to assume that's already the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment